Tail docking is industry’s 'Achilles heel' (pick your battles carefully)
Dairy industry experts concede that consumers may have a point when they object to tail docking and certain other routine husbandry practices. Janice Swanson, in a Michigan Dairy Review editorial, noted that published, peer-reviewed scientific articles written by respected scientists have reached similar conclusions. “The message here is that when science cannot support a practice it may be best to abandon it or look for alternatives. Pick your battles carefully. The insistence to continue a practice when it is ill-supported scientifically and by the veterinary medical community casts doubt on the ethical bearings... View Blog Post »
Cows need their tails!
In Vermont, where the dairy industry is sacrosanct, there is a bill in our state legislature to ban tail docking. I was impressed when I saw that Dairy Herd Management editor Tom Quaife had written a piece back in 2002 called "Tail Docking Makes Little Sense," and opined that "tail docking is no longer a justifiable practice." I recently wrote to Tom to applaud this position and to rue the fact that tails are still being docked a decade later. I wrote to him again, to take issue with certain pieces that appeared in... View Blog Post »
- Are activists really in it for clean air?
- Cows need their tails!
- The versatile, economical Boston butt
- Star Wars meets agriculture
- Chipotle & Panera: Food for thought
- Blog: 10 mooing neighbors
- Blog: 11 (thousand) sliced tires
- Blog: 12 cows a-carolin’
- Meredith: Millennials, the “greener” generation?
- How to respond so consumers will listen
- Five things you need to know about the Affordable Care Act
- Animal activists: Keep fairs fair
- Blog: Nothing gold can stay
- Baise: EPA's water police: Coming to your farm?
- Pricey farm bill is more about food stamps than farmers
- EPA 'connectivity' to your farm and ranch
- Mitigating Millennial Mayhem
- Protect your farm and remove the gag
- Self-Exploration Drives Success
- Commentary: I’m excited again!