Contract essentials for raising dairy heifers
Does using a contract grower fit your business needs? Are you a contract grower yourself, or thinking about becoming one? If so, Tamilee Nennich, associate professor and Extension dairy specialist at Purdue University, shares advice on contracts. FULL STORY »
Thank you for 21 great years
I have actually thought what it would be like to work on a fishing ship, since I love the ocean. But then I discovered that commercial fishermen have one of the highest fatality rates of any occupation. FULL STORY »
A breath of fresh air for calves
As dairies increasingly turn to housing young calves indoors, ventilation, as it relates to animal health, becomes a key consideration. Outdoor calf hutches, of course, have served well and provide ample ventilation. Their exposure to weather, however, can result in stress on calves and extra labor for dairy workers. Also, calf hutches do not facilitate use of automated feeders. FULL STORY »
This young dairyman looks for opportunities
I love this time of year. Reflecting back on 2013 and setting new goals for 2014, I see that some of my resolutions may be repeat attempts. Nevertheless, I am able to anticipate what a new year of change and opportunity can bring. FULL STORY »
Tough food issues: Are we overreacting?
I had the privilege last summer to speak to a group from Georgia comprised of leaders in agriculture. After I was done with my little spiel, a very astute gentleman asked me pointedly, “Emily, don’t you just think we’re overreacting?” FULL STORY »
- Why only one of four dairy calves drinks raw milk?
- USDA: FAQs about potential California FMMO
- U.S. readies for more 'extremely tough' trade talks with Japan
- Ag markets ended the week in decidedly mixed fashion
- Vilsack: Farm Bill, budget expand opportunity in rural America
- Crop markets set back from early-Friday highs
- “Ag-gag” laws in the news
- Conventional agriculture winning some, losing some in culture war
- Can genomics, OPU and IVF take the industry to the 'next level?'
- Preventing roof collapses from snow on agricultural buildings
- Monsanto opens search for 2014 "Farm Mom of the Year"
- School breakfasts celebrated from coast to coast