It’s been shown that disbudding young calves before they reach three weeks of age is the least stressful and painful time to do this practice, as the horn buds are not yet attached to the skull. FULL STORY »
Positive-pressure tube ventilation is becoming extremely popular in Wisconsin and other regions of the country that experience cold weather. University of Wisconsin experts, and some producers using tube ventilation, share their thoughts and experiences. FULL STORY »
Study: 60 percent of colostrum on dairy farms is inadequate
The contributions of high-quality colostrum to the health and productivity of dairy calves — in both their early stages and throughout their lifetimes — have been well-documented. FULL STORY »
Energy audits pay off
Triple A Farms is located just six miles from the corporate headquarters of retail giant Wal-Mart in Bentonville, Ark., which makes for an interesting juxtaposition. FULL STORY »
Dairy welfare programs
Retail purchasing behavior is proof that dairy welfare programs are important.
Last year, Purdue University researchers asked 1,000 households about their perceptions and preferences for dairy products and the importance of dairy product attributes. FULL STORY »
Will only part of the world be fed?
Movie aficionados will remember the scene from “The Graduate” where the main character, Benjamin Braddock, is at a lavish party thrown by his parents, receiving career advice from the wellheeled guests. FULL STORY »
Manage calf surges
Even if a dairy is set up with maternity pens, a large amount of calves can overwhelm the typical calving area.
In a calving surge, producers need to find other places they can calve cows and heifers, says Sam Leadley, calf-care specialist with Attica (N.Y.) Veterinary Associates. FULL STORY »
- Wheat proved an exception to general ag market strength Wednesday
- Purdue Extension to host Farming Together workshop
- Wis. barn fire kills at least 50 animals
- Fleeing suspect falls face-first in cow manure
- Increasing cropping frequency may boost food supply
- Ag markets moved generally higher on Wednesday morning
- Calif. dairy steals the show on ‘Undercover Boss’
- Slow music boosts milk production
- Precision dairy technologies galore: What to do?
- Another study shows that carbohydrate, not fat, is the culprit
- Dairy economists offer farm bill dairy safety net alternative
- College Aggies Online Program scholarship winner announced