“Managers should not assume that people feel valued just because they continue to be productive,” the researchers note.
You must also remove the factors that drain motivation. For example, train new hires to do their job properly, recommends Erven. Provide appropriate tools, safe equipment, facilities and adequate supplies. Make expectations clear and be certain that employees are willing and able to perform the assigned tasks.
Feed the synergy
The true partnership between employer and employee in the motivation challenge requires each to understand and play their parts well and learn to adapt to each other and the situation, he adds.
Avoid the trap of thinking that everyone is motivated by the same things or in the same manner. “We need to appreciate each other,” concludes Tyler.
Manager’s motivation quiz
Is your dairy as good a place to work as you can make it? Experts at the University of Florida have developed the following list of 10 questions managers should ask themselves to help provide a more positive motivational climate in their workplace.
1. Do you personally thank staff for a job well done?
2. Is feedback timely and specific?
3. Do you make time to meet with — and listen to — staff on a regular basis?
4. Is your workplace open, trusting and fun?
5. Do you encourage and reward initiative and new ideas?
6. Do you share information about your business with employees on a regular basis?
7. Do you involve employees in decisions, especially those decisions that will affect them?
8. Do you provide employees with a sense of ownership of their jobs and your business as a whole?
9. Do you give employees the chance to succeed?
10. Do you reward employees based on their performance?
If you answered “no” to more than one of these questions, then it’s time to reassess your strategy and make a few changes to your dairy’s workplace environment.
Want to learn more about what drives people? Check out this excellent 10-minute animated video from a researcher at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology that provides interesting insight on motivation. Watch it a couple of times to get the full effect.
Watch the video at: http://tinyurl.com/32sjklb