Cost is another issue. These systems are not free, so you need to run the numbers to see if it makes sense on your dairy.
Questions to ask
If you’re considering an automated heat detection system, regardless of type, be sure to get the answers to these questions from Roy Fogwell, animal science professor at Michigan State University:
- How frequently do you need/want to collect data from cows to detect the onset of estrus?
- What equipment is required for individual cows, to collect data, to transfer that data to the office and for the analysis of that data?
- What computer requirements (if any) are necessary?
- How many cows will the system accommodate?
- Is the software extremely technical or user-friendly?
- Does the system interface with your herd management software?
- Is training, maintenance and customer support included with the system?