Combat E. Coli 0175:H7
The strain of E. coli known as 0157:H7 is once again in the news. This time it’s not because of a disease outbreak associated with tainted hamburger, but one associated with contaminated spinach. FULL STORY »
What does time of calving tell us?
A recent review of the “Calving Management Manual,” a publication produced by veterinary researchers at Colorado State University, reminded me of the popular practice that dairy producers sometimes borrow from cow-calf producers. FULL STORY »
Set up vaccines for success
Whenever I see a vaccine fail to produce the benefits expected, I am presented with a teachable moment. In addition to explaining why vaccines can sometimes fail, I also take the opportunity to explain how producers can help tip the scales in their favor when it comes to vaccine success. FULL STORY »
What is the ideal culling rate?
After numerous meetings and roundtable discussions, I am certain of only one thing — when it comes to culling rates, no one agrees. Unfortunately, lenders and investors look closely at this number and can draw some improper conclusions unless the details are investigated. FULL STORY »
- Stopgap farm bill passes House, extends current law to January
- FDA plans to phase out some antibiotic use on farms
- Livestock futures outperformed grain, soy markets Thursday
- Serious agriculture points from a comedian
- Top negotiators say U.S. farm bill delayed to January
- Calves with Sam: The most common mistake in mixing milk replacer