The art of the physical exam
I have attended many meetings where speakers discuss how to find sick cows in your herd. But then what? Let’s take a few minutes to determine what to do with these cows once we find them. FULL STORY »
Tips for the transition period
The transition period of 30 days before calving to 70 days after calving is a critical time for the cow. Mistakes during this time can jeopardize her entire lactation and affect how long she ultimately stays on the dairy. FULL STORY »
Is your drug use legal?
If outside forces had their way, antibiotic usage on farm would stop today. So, if we want to continue to have medications available to treat sick animals and to relieve pain and suffering, due diligence is required by all of us. FULL STORY »
Combat E. Coli 0175:H7
The strain of E. coli known as 0157:H7 is once again in the news. This time it’s not because of a disease outbreak associated with tainted hamburger, but one associated with contaminated spinach. FULL STORY »
- DHM Numbers: Cattle on feed, dairy CPI/PPI forecast
- Commentary: Yogurt redux: Readers react
- Protect yourself; MPP-Dairy is easy, LGM-Dairy may be better deal
- Penn State: Understanding the Farm Bill’s MPP-Dairy
- Calves with Sam: Another note on cross-sucking
- Employee Turnover Affecting Your Operation?