How do you record lameness events on your dairy? The terms you use make a big difference, as well as the uniformity of term usage between you and your hoof trimmer. For instance, many dairy farmers and hoof trimmers will call something an abscess or laminitis. “But those are simply generic descriptors and not types of claw lesions,” says Jeff DeFrain of Zinpro Corporation. “Is it a sole ulcer, white line disease, toe ulcer, digital dermatitis or foot rot?” he asks. You can be much more effective with hoof-care management and prevention if you know and record the real problem that you’re dealing with.
Use the right terms
- Annual Minnesota Nutrition Conference scheduled
- Canada’s Agropur co-op acquires Davisco milk processing plants
- Grains dipped Tuesday while the other markets climbed
- Cattle, soybeans climb Tuesday morning
- EPA in hot water over proposed CWA rule
- DHM Southeast: Dairy events in Florida, update on Burdette/Stiles