How do you record lameness events on your dairy? The terms you use make a big difference, as well as the uniformity of term usage between you and your hoof trimmer. For instance, many dairy farmers and hoof trimmers will call something an abscess or laminitis. “But those are simply generic descriptors and not types of claw lesions,” says Jeff DeFrain of Zinpro Corporation. “Is it a sole ulcer, white line disease, toe ulcer, digital dermatitis or foot rot?” he asks. You can be much more effective with hoof-care management and prevention if you know and record the real problem that you’re dealing with.
Use the right terms
- Ag markets proved generally mixed Monday night
- Baise: Judge dismisses Calif. egg law case but not all is lost
- WTO again sides with Canada, Mexico on US COOL law
- Kansas City Royals named after livestock show, not royalty
- September U.S. milk production up 4%
- VIDEO: Shatto Dairy, from nearly broke to booming