How do you record lameness events on your dairy? The terms you use make a big difference, as well as the uniformity of term usage between you and your hoof trimmer. For instance, many dairy farmers and hoof trimmers will call something an abscess or laminitis. “But those are simply generic descriptors and not types of claw lesions,” says Jeff DeFrain of Zinpro Corporation. “Is it a sole ulcer, white line disease, toe ulcer, digital dermatitis or foot rot?” he asks. You can be much more effective with hoof-care management and prevention if you know and record the real problem that you’re dealing with.
Use the right terms
- Last look at New Holland Pavilions before World Dairy Expo
- Dairy markets: Full steam ahead
- Grain futures lagged behind the other ag markets Tuesday night
- Vance Agribusiness names 2014 40 Under 40 honorees
- Video: Evaluating corn silage processing in the field
- National Mastitis Council Annual Meeting set for Feb. 1-3, 2014