When your veterinarian comes to your dairy, what usually happens? Is he or she there for a herd check? When was the last time you talked to your veterinarian about the following:
• The effectiveness of treatment protocols your veterinarian has developed with you.
• Teaching employees the importance of protocol compliance.
• Your drug residue-prevention plan.
Working with your veterinarian should be about more than just herd checks. Develop a valid veterinarian-client-patient relationship (VCPR) to protect your cows’ health. Having a valid VCPR means:
• Your veterinarian assumes responsibility for making medical judgments.
• You and your employees agree and understand how to follow the protocols from your veterinarian.