It's always important to know your cost of production, but it has become even more critical lately with escalating feed prices. An Excel spreadsheet, DairyCOP$, is available from the Penn State Dairy Alliance. It enables you to calculate this benchmark. It uses the whole-farm approach to calculate cost of production, and it also makes accrual adjustments. Use it monthly, quarterly or annually to calculate cost of production based on profitability (using depreciation) or cash-flow (using principal payments). To download it, click here.
Cost-of-production tool available
- “Ag-gag” laws in the news
- Conventional agriculture winning some, losing some in culture war
- Can genomics, OPU and IVF take the industry to the 'next level?'
- Monsanto opens search for 2014 "Farm Mom of the Year"
- School breakfasts celebrated from coast to coast
- California February 4a/4b prices new record highs