It's always important to know your cost of production, but it has become even more critical lately with escalating feed prices. An Excel spreadsheet, DairyCOP$, is available from the Penn State Dairy Alliance. It enables you to calculate this benchmark. It uses the whole-farm approach to calculate cost of production, and it also makes accrual adjustments. Use it monthly, quarterly or annually to calculate cost of production based on profitability (using depreciation) or cash-flow (using principal payments). To download it, click here.
Cost-of-production tool available
- Vance Agribusiness names 2014 40 Under 40 honorees
- 6 questions and answers about rumen development in calves
- Life changes, but fall brings World Dairy Expo
- Last look at New Holland Pavilions before World Dairy Expo
- Dairy calf care: Every delivery is special
- Dairy calf care: When to assist, what to do