It's always important to know your cost of production, but it has become even more critical lately with escalating feed prices. An Excel spreadsheet, DairyCOP$, is available from the Penn State Dairy Alliance. It enables you to calculate this benchmark. It uses the whole-farm approach to calculate cost of production, and it also makes accrual adjustments. Use it monthly, quarterly or annually to calculate cost of production based on profitability (using depreciation) or cash-flow (using principal payments). To download it, click here.
Cost-of-production tool available
- One Nebraska farmer takes ALS ice bucket challenge to extreme
- Dairying in a warzone
- Vandenheuvel: Time to act on California federal order
- 72-stall robotic rotary breaks ground in Wisconsin
- Using Activity Monitors to Predict Ovulation & Get Cows Pregnant
- John Deere’s 2014 product launch heavy in hay equipment