It's always important to know your cost of production, but it has become even more critical lately with escalating feed prices. An Excel spreadsheet, DairyCOP$, is available from the Penn State Dairy Alliance. It enables you to calculate this benchmark. It uses the whole-farm approach to calculate cost of production, and it also makes accrual adjustments. Use it monthly, quarterly or annually to calculate cost of production based on profitability (using depreciation) or cash-flow (using principal payments). To download it, click here.
Cost-of-production tool available
- Minnesota's largest dairy shows calf facility
- No El Niño in 2014? Drought-weary California in trouble
- Video: Milk's journey - 48 hours in 48 seconds
- Video: "Show kids got their white pants on"
- U.S dairy cow numbers up, but replacement heifer numbers lower
- Foremost Farms, Michigan Milk announce strategic alliance