Grain cups hold calf starter
A plastic grain cup holds each calf's starter on Don Reber's 100-cow Jersey operation in Apple Creek, Ohio. Reber purchased the 5-inch by 7-inch grain cups from a local grain elevator equipment supplier for about $7 each. Since the cups came with pre-punched holes, Reber simply drilled a hole through the wooden partition separating two calves and mounted two grain cups against each other. The cups are positioned within easy reach of the calves and are easy to clean, he says.
- Vance Agribusiness names 2014 40 Under 40 honorees
- 6 questions and answers about rumen development in calves
- Life changes, but fall brings World Dairy Expo
- Last look at New Holland Pavilions before World Dairy Expo
- Dairy calf care: Every delivery is special
- Dairy calf care: When to assist, what to do