Endsley Dairy built two 15-gallon batch waste-milk pasteurizers out of used hospital kitchen sterilizing units (bought for less than $50 each). The milk takes about 45 minutes to heat to 160 degrees, says Greg Endsley. The pasteurizers work well for the calves on the 400-cow dairy. (Also see related tip, “Use calf milk pasteurizers wisely,” at right.
Homemade milk pasteurizer
- Wednesday's CME Dairy Market Recap
- DHM Numbers: September Class I base slightly lower
- Tumbling livestock quotes led ag commodites lower Wednesday
- Kan. veterinarians get soaked in Ice Bucket Challenge
- Livestock futures led most ag markets lower Wednesday morning
- 72-stall robotic rotary breaks ground in Wisconsin