Endsley Dairy built two 15-gallon batch waste-milk pasteurizers out of used hospital kitchen sterilizing units (bought for less than $50 each). The milk takes about 45 minutes to heat to 160 degrees, says Greg Endsley. The pasteurizers work well for the calves on the 400-cow dairy. (Also see related tip, “Use calf milk pasteurizers wisely,” at right.
Homemade milk pasteurizer
- Video: "Show kids got their white pants on"
- Dairy markets: Milk production report sends markets lower
- Dean spin-off of WhiteWave: Silk beating milk one year later
- Corn crop in best shape in 21 years
- Minnesota's largest dairy shows calf facility
- Michigan honors Continental Dairy Facilities for exports