Endsley Dairy built two 15-gallon batch waste-milk pasteurizers out of used hospital kitchen sterilizing units (bought for less than $50 each). The milk takes about 45 minutes to heat to 160 degrees, says Greg Endsley. The pasteurizers work well for the calves on the 400-cow dairy. (Also see related tip, “Use calf milk pasteurizers wisely,” at right.
Homemade milk pasteurizer
- First sights of World Dairy Expo 2014
- Slideshow: World Dairy Expo opens to big crowd
- Early Wednesday World Dairy Expo photographs
- 2014 Dairy Herd Management Innovation Awards announced
- Select Sires offers new ear-tag based herd management system
- U.S. dairy decries EU-Canada trade agreement market barriers