Endsley Dairy built two 15-gallon batch waste-milk pasteurizers out of used hospital kitchen sterilizing units (bought for less than $50 each). The milk takes about 45 minutes to heat to 160 degrees, says Greg Endsley. The pasteurizers work well for the calves on the 400-cow dairy. (Also see related tip, “Use calf milk pasteurizers wisely,” at right.
Homemade milk pasteurizer
- DHM Numbers: Cattle on feed, dairy CPI/PPI forecast
- Commentary: Yogurt redux: Readers react
- Protect yourself; MPP-Dairy is easy, LGM-Dairy may be better deal
- Penn State: Understanding the Farm Bill’s MPP-Dairy
- Calves with Sam: Another note on cross-sucking
- Employee Turnover Affecting Your Operation?