Terrorist threats, an international emphasis on biosecurity, milk tampering cases, and old-fashioned cattle thefts mean dairies can’t take security for granted anymore.
According to the California Farm Bureau, many dairies have taken unprecedented steps to protect their operations. Here are some examples you may want to consider for your dairy:
- Close off all external entrances so all traffic must come through a main area that can be video-monitored.
- Restrict the access of non-employees.
- Train employees to be observant of unusual activities.
- Add additional lighting around facilities.
- Use permanent identification, such as brands and tattoos, to help law enforcement officials track stolen animals.