Management primary ketosis risk

 Resize text         Printer-friendly version of this article Printer-friendly version of this article

When it comes to developing ketosis — both subclinical and clinical cases — high milk production (increasing parity) and excessive body condition only account for about 10 percent of a cow’s risk. The other 90 percent comes from management factors, explains Todd Duffield, dairy scientist at the University of Guelph.

How you manage transition cows, including nutrition, bunk management, grouping, movement of cows, cow comfort, ventilation and cooling, all affect her risk for developing ketosis. With good management, even high-producing cows can avoid ketosis.



Comments (0) Leave a comment 

Name
e-Mail (required)
Location

Comment:

characters left


6D Series

John Deere offers four models in its economical 6D Series Tractor lineup: the 105 horsepower 6105D, 115 horsepower 6115D; 130 ... Read More

View all Products in this segment

View All Buyers Guides

)
Feedback Form
Leads to Insight