Rubber flooring in alleys can be a good thing, but it shouldn’t rob the cow of lying time. That’s why it’s so important to promote good stall use by providing stalls that allow cows to get up and down easily. “Otherwise, we may be taking them out of the stall and making them stand on rubber,” says Nigel Cook, veterinarian at the University of Wisconsin. Remember, rubber flooring is most effective in high-traffic areas, like return lanes and crossover alleys.
Maximize the benefits of rubber flooring
- The new line on your milk check — spore counts
- Cropp: October dairy situation and outlook
- 2014 Dairy Herd Management Innovation Awards announced
- Commentary: A beef with yogurt
- 24 robots will soon be operating under one roof in New Zealand
- Chobani's search for non-GMO fed herds could require 225,000 cows