Pass-throughs connect maternity pens
Pass-throughs between every pen allow employees to move from maternity pen to maternity pen without having to open a gate. To facilitate the design, the distance between the structural posts in the feed alley row and the structural posts at the front of the maternity pens is 14 feet instead of the standard 12 feet. The cow alley, however, is still 12 feet wide from curb to curb. Round steel posts were set into the alley curb on the maternity pen side, and gates were hung on those posts. The space between the post that holds the gates and the structural post is 2 feet — just the right size for a pass-through.
- No El Niño in 2014? Drought-weary California in trouble
- Minnesota's largest dairy shows calf facility
- Video: Milk's journey - 48 hours in 48 seconds
- Video: "Show kids got their white pants on"
- U.S dairy cow numbers up, but replacement heifer numbers lower
- Foremost Farms, Michigan Milk announce strategic alliance