Before initiating an expansion, develop a manure management plan. Kevin Elder, project coordinator with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, offers these suggestions for developing a manure management plan:
1.Write your plan down on paper.
2.Consider the following criteria as part of your site selection:
- How many animals will be at the site?
- What type of facilities do you plan to construct?
- How will you use manure byproducts?
- How many acres will you need for manure application?
- Will the site allow for future expansion?
3. Share your plan with others.
4.Update your plan as changes occur during construction.
5.Keep records of manure management activities.