according to John Wenz, veterinarian and dairy specialist at Colorado State University, in order to rate the effectiveness of your mastitis-treatment program you must first be able to answer these questions:
1. How many cows in your herd with clinical mastitis need to be re-treated?
2. How many clinical mastitis cases do gram-negative bacteria, such as coliforms, cause?
3. How many cows have multiple cases of mastitis in the same quarter?
4. On average, how many days do mastitis cows spend in the sick pen?
5. How many mastitis episodes result in a dried-off quarter?
If you can’t answer each of these questions, work with your veterinarian to set up systems to collect the data needed to answer them. Then, use that information to evaluate the effectiveness of your mastitis-treatment program.