Roof design improves air movement
A 4/12 pitch to the roof and a 14-foot eave height has improved air flow in this free-stall barn. The previous roof was less steep, and eave heights on the ends of the barn were only 10 to 11 feet. “We have noticed a big diffference,” says co-owner John Silva, of Denair, Calif. “Cows are more comfortable. It’s a lot cooler inside,” he says. A 4/12 pitch is equivalent to an 18-degree slope. For every 12 horizontal inches, the roof rises 4 vertical inches.
- Vance Agribusiness names 2014 40 Under 40 honorees
- 6 questions and answers about rumen development in calves
- Life changes, but fall brings World Dairy Expo
- Last look at New Holland Pavilions before World Dairy Expo
- Dairy calf care: Every delivery is special
- Dairy calf care: When to assist, what to do