Roof design improves air movement
A 4/12 pitch to the roof and a 14-foot eave height has improved air flow in this free-stall barn. The previous roof was less steep, and eave heights on the ends of the barn were only 10 to 11 feet. “We have noticed a big diffference,” says co-owner John Silva, of Denair, Calif. “Cows are more comfortable. It’s a lot cooler inside,” he says. A 4/12 pitch is equivalent to an 18-degree slope. For every 12 horizontal inches, the roof rises 4 vertical inches.
- Will tornado alley come alive this weekend?
- Ag markets proved rather volatile again Thursday
- DHM Markets/Marketers: Cow culling lags; Pennsylvania heifers
- Farm Bureau fights EPA, tells members to ‘ditch the rule’
- How are you using incentive programs on your farm?
- Food waste-to-energy converter introduced at UC Davis