Roof design improves air movement
A 4/12 pitch to the roof and a 14-foot eave height has improved air flow in this free-stall barn. The previous roof was less steep, and eave heights on the ends of the barn were only 10 to 11 feet. “We have noticed a big diffference,” says co-owner John Silva, of Denair, Calif. “Cows are more comfortable. It’s a lot cooler inside,” he says. A 4/12 pitch is equivalent to an 18-degree slope. For every 12 horizontal inches, the roof rises 4 vertical inches.
- DHM Numbers: Cattle on feed, dairy CPI/PPI forecast
- Commentary: Yogurt redux: Readers react
- Protect yourself; MPP-Dairy is easy, LGM-Dairy may be better deal
- Penn State: Understanding the Farm Bill’s MPP-Dairy
- Calves with Sam: Another note on cross-sucking
- Employee Turnover Affecting Your Operation?