As the busy harvest season hits its stride, consider the following tips from the National Safety Council to help reduce psychological stress:
1. Acknowledge that stress exists in your life.
2. Don’t minimize your reactions to stress. Keeping it buried inside only increases mental and physical problems.
3. Talk about problems with family, friends, clergy or professional counselors. This will help you clear your head and focus on eliminating or reducing anxiety and stress-related ailments.
4. Try to eat well-balanced meals, limit caffeine and alcohol intake, and don’t smoke.
5. Get enough sleep.
6. Keep machinery in good condition. Eliminating possible breakdowns will reduce stress.
For more ideas on farm safety, go to: www.nsc.org/necas