In order to achieve favorable results from a vaccine, you must handle the vaccine properly. Tom Esselburn, a Pfizer Animal Health territory manager based in Shreve, Ohio, provides these guidelines to help you mix and administer vaccines properly:
- Use a double-sided or transfer needle to mix the liquid portion of the vaccine.
- Use a vaccine within one hour of mixing it.
- Don’t mix syringes or combine vaccines in the same syringe. Vaccines that are mixed with one another can deactivate the ability of one of the vaccines to work.
- Keep vaccines away from weather extremes such as sun, heat and cold.\
- Inject vaccines in the front of the shoulder, not the rump.
- Clean syringes with hot water only. Soap or other cleaning products can deactivate or contaminate the next vaccine administered from that syringe.