The 26th Annual Forage Analysis Superbowl winners were announced this week at World Dairy Expo in Madison, Wis. This year, more than 320 entries from 25 states competed for top honors and more than $17,000 in cash prizes. South Town Dairy Farm of South New Berlin, N.Y. was named Grand Champion and received $2,000 from Kuhn North American Farm Machinery Inc. Click here for more winners.
Take stock in employee management
Your dairy is your stock portfolio, says Tom Wall, president of Language Links LLC, told audiences at World Dairy Expo this week. Therefore, you need to hire and manage people that will help your investment succeed. To do this, he suggests you focus on these five areas:
- Organize your systems, strategies, policies and procedures. This includes a new hire kit, organizational chart, set pay scales, performance evaluations, employee manual, job descriptions, standard operating procedures and written warning procedures.
- Practice frequent formal and informal communication. "This is more than speaking the same language," Walls says. "It's team maintenance."
- Connect with your people. This means developing respect and trust between you and your team.
- Manage and lead your team. As a manager, you must focus on the execution of the work on your dairy. To lead, you need to create and develop teamwork.
- Reward performance. Make sure you connect job descriptions with employee evaluations and your pay scale.
You must do all five steps for success, says Wall. "One is not more important than the other."