Dairy producers use many good management practices to help prevent staph and strep mastitis, such as teat dipping, dry cow therapy, culling and proper maintenance of milking equipment. However, these practices do not prevent coliform mastitis1.
Coliform mastitis attacks quickly typically striking high producing cows with low SCC early in lactation. Clinical signs include fever, loss of appetite and a sudden drop in milk production. Coliform mastitis is a threat to every herd. Severe coliform mastitis can kill dairy cows.
Most cases of coliform mastitis are caused by Escherichia coli (E. coli). J-VAC® from Merial® helps prevent E. coli coliform mastitis and endotoxemia caused by E. coli and Salmonella typhimurium. J-VAC is the only USDA-licensed coliform mastitis vaccine that helps protect with just two doses, saving time, labor and expense. With its 2-dose treatment, J-VAC has set an unmatched standard for convenience and is the only product labeled for whole herd administration.
J-VAC contains a unique adjuvant that stimulates enhanced immune response. Because of this unique adjuvant, J-VAC can be administered either IM or SC in a small 2 cc. dose. It is approved for use in open or pregnant animals, making it convenient to use in heifer, dry cow or whole herd protocols. Since its introduction in 1993, J-VAC has been used in millions of dairy cattle.
Milk Quality - Merial
- DHM Numbers: Dairy CPI mostly higher in September
- Ag markets posted divergent closes Wednesday
- November Class I base lower; Cold Storage report mixed
- Food Babe visits my university
- Ag markets moved almost unanimously higher Wednesday morning
- ABI Elects New President and Officers at October Board Meeting
- WTO again sides with Canada, Mexico on US COOL law
- Commentary: A beef with yogurt
- VIDEO: Maddox family's "one cow" philosophy changed industry
- BVD control: Segmented U.S.production system presents challenges
- 24 robots will soon be operating under one roof in New Zealand
- Wash. judge rules non-competes “unenforceable” for A.I. techs