1. Do you believe the U.S. should adopt a 400,000 somatic cell count standard to replace the 750,000 standard currently in place?
2004: Yes: 65.9%, No: 34.1%
2003: Yes: 76.3%, No: 23.7%
2. Beside somatic cell counts what are some other management areas you believe impact the consumers perception of milk quality and safety?
Dairy Appearance 75%
Animal Welfare and Handling 58.3%
Environmental Management/Lagoons 50%
Environmental Management/Odor 41.7%
Environmental Management/Resource Utilization i.e. water conservation 16.7%
Other 25% (Size of the operation, cleanliness)
3. Do you currently have protocols and systems in place to monitor somatic cell counts and maintain or improve Milk Quality?
Average SCC of those answering: 349,444.
4. Do you feel you are adequately prepared for an Animal Welfare Audit conducted by an outside party i.e. McDonalds, Kroger's Stores?
5. Do you believe that your dairies appearance has an impact on potential consumers?
6. Do you believe the way your dairy smells has an impact on consumer attitudes and perceptions of Milk Quality?
7. Do you believe that the number of flies in proximity to your dairy has an impact on consumer attitudes towards milk quality?
8. Do you believe your dairy is adequately prepared for an EPA or other local, state or federal environmental audit?
9. What are you currently doing to add value to the milk you produce?
Reducing SCC's 100%
Initiating new milk quality protocols 60%
Conducting Milker training 40%
Selecting genetics for higher components (fat) 40%
Selecting genetics for higher components (protein) 40%
Selecting genetics for higher components (CLA) 40%
Selecting genetics for higher components (Kappa Casein) 0%
Selecting genetics for higher components (Omega 3 Fatty Acids) 0%