2014 alfalfa hay acreage up 2%

 Resize text         Printer-friendly version of this article Printer-friendly version of this article

click image to zoom While corn and soybeans got all of the attention, USDA’s Acreage report, June 30, indicated U.S. producers intend to harvest slightly more alfalfa/alfalfa mixture dry hay in 2014.

According to the Acreage report, U.S. producers intend to harvest 57.6 million acres of all hay in 2014, down 1% from 2013. However, the expected harvested area of alfalfa and alfalfa mixtures, at 18.2 million acres, is up 2% from 2013. Expected harvested area for all other types of hay totals 39.5 million acres, down 3% from 2013.

Harvested area of alfalfa and alfalfa mixtures is expected to increase throughout much of the Upper Midwest and Northern Plains due to timely precipitation this spring. Production is expected to be steady to slightly higher in most major dairy states, based on USDA’s Acreage report.

Other hay harvested acreage is expected to decline throughout much of the United States.

All hay record high acreages are expected to be harvested in Florida and Oklahoma. Record lows are expected in Maryland, Nebraska, Rhode Island and Vermont.

 

Stocks reviewed

Previously, USDA’s Crop Production report, released May 9, USDA estimated U.S. farmers entered the 2014 growing season with more hay in storage than a year ago, but that wasn't the case in several major dairy states.

All hay stored on United States farms May 1, 2014 totaled 19.2 million tons, up 35% from a year ago. While up from last tear, this is the third lowest May 1 stocks level since 1989.

May 1 hay stocks levels were record lows in California, Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island. In addition to California, Minnesota and Pennsylvania, other major dairy states reporting lower stocks compared to last year were Colorado, Idaho, New Mexico, Oregon and Texas.

Nationally, May 1 hay stocks were up from 2013 as improved weather conditions lead to larger production totals in many states when compared with drought conditions in 2012. However, regional declines in stocks levels were due to lower production in the Southeast, drought conditions in the West and Southern Plains, and a cold, wet spring in the Northeast and parts of the Midwest.

 

U.S hay harvested by type, 2013 & 2014 (1000 acres)

 

All 

hay

Alfalfa/

alfalfa mixtures

 

2013

2014*

2013

2014*

Alabama**

790

750

(NA)

(NA)

Arizona

285

305

250

270

Arkansas

1,335

1,225

5

5

California

1,440

1,370

900

930

Colorado

1,310

1,330

650

750

Connecticut

47

54

7

7

Delaware

18

14

6

4

Florida**

300

320

(NA)

(NA)

Georgia**

580

580

(NA)

(NA)

Idaho

1,480

1,470

1,120

1,080

Illinois

660

650

340

320

Indiana

640

600

280

240

Iowa

1,170

1,080

730

730

Kansas

2,750

2,550

550

550

Kentucky

2,600

2,630

200

180

Louisiana**

400

410

(NA)

(NA)

Maine

135

150

10

10

Maryland

225

180

30

30

Massachusetts

84

82

9

11

Michigan

940

970

610

640

Minnesota

1,900

1,800

950

1,000

Mississippi**

720

600

(NA)

(NA)

Missouri

4,050

3,920

350

320

Montana

2,800

2,750

1,800

1,850

Nebraska

2,500

2,370

700

720

Nevada

345

390

210

250

New Hampshire

50

49

5

4

New Jersey

97

106

17

14

New Mexico

230

335

145

220

New York

1,430

1,390

350

320

North Carolina

858

778

8

8

North Dakota

2,620

2,380

1,620

1,540

Ohio

1,070

1,050

330

330

Oklahoma

3,130

3,510

230

310

Oregon

1,020

1,050

400

390

Pennsylvania

1,260

1,290

340

340

Rhode Island

8

7

1

1

South Carolina**

290

280

(NA)

(NA)

South Dakota

3,050

3,220

1,800

1,820

Tennessee

1,915

1,866

15

16

Texas

5,640

5,440

140

140

Utah

725

710

550

550

Vermont

180

170

35

35

Virginia

1,240

1,275

90

75

Washington

760

920

410

470

West Virginia

590

570

20

20

Wisconsin

1,600

1,600

1,100

1,150

Wyoming

990

1,100

450

540

United States

58,257

57,646

17,763

18,190

Source: USDA Acreage Report, June 30, 2014

* Forecasted

** Other and

alfalfa combined

 

 

 

 



Comments (0) Leave a comment 

Name
e-Mail (required)
Location

Comment:

characters left


Grand L60 Series

Kubota’s Grand L60 Series combines a higher level of luxury with outstanding productivity never before seen in this class of ... Read More

View all Products in this segment

View All Buyers Guides

)
Feedback Form
Leads to Insight