A regional summary of dairy-related news and events from the Midwest. Today's posts cover Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota and Wisconsin.
Northeast Iowa On-Farm Calf Feeding Workshops scheduled in February
Northeast Iowa on-farm calf feeding workshops will be offered at multiple locations in February. Dates, locations and features include:
• Feb. 10, 10:30-11:30 am, Kevin & Gayleen Moellers, Ridgeway, IA. GEA Auto-feeders utilizing pasteurized milk in a cross-ventilated facility.
• Feb. 10, 1:30-2:30 pm, Paul & Jody Stempfle, Maynard, IA. New individual stall calf barn utilizing a Milk Taxi for transport and pasteurization of milk.
• Feb. 11, 10:30-11:30 am, Pattison Dairy, Garnavillo, IA. GEA Auto-feeders utilizing pasteurized milk in a hoop building.
• Feb. 11,1:30-2:30 pm, Gibbs Dairy, Waterville, IA. DeLaval Auto-feeder in a cross-ventilated facility.
• Feb. 17, 10:30-11:30 am, Virgil and Judy McNamara Dairy, Anamosa, IA. Auto-calf feeder in new facility.
• Feb. 17, 1:30-2:30 pm, Stoll Farms, Cascade, IA. Auto calf-feeder in remodeled facility.
• Feb 18, 10:30-11:30 am, Strief Dairy, Farley, IA. Pasteurizer and auto-calf feeder in new facility.
• Feb. 18, 1:30-2:30 pm, Domeyer Dairy, Holy Cross. Auto-calf feeder in remodeled facility.
Iowa Dairy Days feature profitable practices
Iowa State University Extension specialists will share information on emerging dairy industry issues at four remaining 2014 ISU Extension Dairy Days.
Remaining Dairy Days will be offered at the following locations: Feb. 3 in Bloomfield; Feb. 4 in Kalona; Feb. 5 in Holy Cross; and Feb. 6 in Ryan.
Registration starts at 9:30 a.m., and the program will conclude by 3 p.m. Details about each date are available from county ISU Extension offices.
A $15 registration fee covers the noon meal and proceedings costs. Registration is requested by the Friday before each event to reserve a meal. Vouchers may be available from local ag-service providers or veterinarians.
For more information, contact local county ISU Extension & Outreach offices or local dairy specialists Jenn Bentley, (563) 382-2949, or Larry Tranel, (563) 583-6496.
Northwest Iowa Dairy Days
Northwest Iowa Dairy Days will be held at two locations:
• Feb. 25 – Forster Community Center, Rock Rapids
• Feb. 26 – Sioux County Extension Office, Orange City
For more information contact Kevin Lager at 712-737-4230 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Northwest Iowa Calf Tours scheduled