When it comes to storing away winter forage for the dairy herd, it’s not business as normal this year. The drought has led to scarce hay supplies, and dairy producers need to be determining their herd forage needs right now, according to Kansas State University dairy specialist Mike Brouk. It may well be that some producers will need to turn to alternative forage resources.
Audio: Dairy forage planning
- No El Niño in 2014? Drought-weary California in trouble
- Minnesota's largest dairy shows calf facility
- Video: Milk's journey - 48 hours in 48 seconds
- Video: "Show kids got their white pants on"
- U.S dairy cow numbers up, but replacement heifer numbers lower
- Foremost Farms, Michigan Milk announce strategic alliance