When it comes to storing away winter forage for the dairy herd, it’s not business as normal this year. The drought has led to scarce hay supplies, and dairy producers need to be determining their herd forage needs right now, according to Kansas State University dairy specialist Mike Brouk. It may well be that some producers will need to turn to alternative forage resources.
Audio: Dairy forage planning
- DHM Numbers: Cattle on feed, dairy CPI/PPI forecast
- Commentary: Yogurt redux: Readers react
- Protect yourself; MPP-Dairy is easy, LGM-Dairy may be better deal
- Penn State: Understanding the Farm Bill’s MPP-Dairy
- Calves with Sam: Another note on cross-sucking
- Employee Turnover Affecting Your Operation?