For the third year, the Dairy Cattle Reproduction Council recognized dairy farmers for their ability to achieve impressive reproductive success in their herds. The DCRC Reproduction Award winners were honored yesterday at the organization’s annual meeting in Kansas City, Mo.
Seventy-four dairies were nominated from 17 states for the award program. The farms had to be nominated by a dairy industry professional; they could not nominate themselves.
The farms were analyzed by both a panel of industry judges and an independent analytic program to further evaluate raw data on every cow that calved on each farm from Jan. 1, 2010 to Dec. 31, 2010. After comparing the dairies’ reproductive performance, finalists were ranked based on 12 different reproductive parameters and winning farms were selected to receive a Platinum, Gold, Silver or Honorable Mention award.
This year, the program separated Holstein and non-Holstein herds into two categories to more effectively recognize the accomplishments of all dairies, keeping in mind breed fertility differences. The lowest 21-day pregnancy rate achieved by the Holstein herds was 29 percent. Meanwhile, the lowest non-Holstein herd achieved a 31 percent 21-day pregnancy rate, according to DCRC officials.
The four platinum winners are:
- Hourigan Family Dairy, Syracuse, N.Y.
- River Ranch Dairy, Hanford, Calif.
- Rock Bottom Dairy, Rock Rapids, Iowa.
- Watts Brothers Dairy, Patterson, Wash.
Gold award winners are:
- Breitenmoser Farms, Merrill, Wis.
- Collins Dairy, Greenleaf, Wis.
- Crosswind Dairy, Elkton, S.D.
- Curtin Dairy LP, Cassville, N.Y.
- Majestic Meadows Dairy, Sheboygan Falls, Wis.
- Synergy Dairy, LLC, Wyoming, N.Y.
Silver Award winners are:
- Beck Farms, Freeville, N.Y.
- Frazee Farms, Fabius, N.Y.
- Michel Ranch and Dairy, Waterford, Calif.
- Schilling Farms, LLC, Darlington, Wis.
Honorable Mention winners are:
- Hochkammer Dairy Farm, Manitowoc, Wis.
- Pete DeHaan Dairy, Salem, Ore.