Area youth earn NorthStar Cooperative scholarships
Winners of the NorthStar Cooperative, Inc. $500 scholarships were recently announced:
• Taylor Holterman, Watertown, Wis., a junior at the University of Wisconsin–Madison majoring in Life Sciences Communication with an Entrepreneurship Certificate. She is the daughter of Lloyd and Daphne Holterman of Rosy-Lane Holsteins, LLC.
• Katelyn Horning, Manchester, Mich., a senior at Michigan State University (MSU), majoring in Animal Science and Agri-Business Management. She is the daughter of Jeff and Lynda Horning of Horning Farms.
• Malissa Reed, Owosso, Mich., a junior at MSU, majoring in Animal Science. She is the daughter of Stephen and Elaine Reed of Reed Dairy Farm.
For more information, visit www.northstarcooperative.com.
Heart of America Dairy Expo sets records
The Heart of America Dairy Expo, held in Springfield, Mo. set attendance and support records this year, with almost 500 attendees and almost 60 commercial exhibitors. Attendees came from 25 states and Canada, according to Larry Purdom, Expo chairman and a dairy farmer from Purdy, Mo.
During the luncheon, the Missouri Dairy Association (MDA) presented three "Friend of the Missouri Dairy Farmer" awards to Missouri State Rep. Bill Reiboldt (Dist. 160); Dr. Rex Ricketts, recently retired from the Commercial Agriculture Program at the University of Missouri; and to Kenny Lenz, a former dairy producer who retired from the MDA Board of Directors.
The program also included the annual meetings of Missouri’s Holstein, Brown Swiss, Guernsey, Jersey, Ayrshire and Midwest Milking Shorthorn associations.
The 2015 Heart of America Dairy Expo is set for Jan. 22-24, 2015.
Missouri Dairy Profit Seminars planned
Dairy farmers will hear moneymaking tips at a series of one-day meetings across Missouri, Feb. 24-28. The Dairy Profit Seminars are organized by the Missouri Dairy Association (MDA) and MU Extension.
Dates, locations and reservation contacts:
• Feb. 24, Sedalia, Mo., Pork Palace, Missouri State Fairgrounds. Pettis County Extension Center, 660-827-0591.
• Feb. 25, Springfield (Mo.) Livestock Marketing Center off I-44. Tony Rickard, 417-847-3161.
• Feb. 26, Mountain Grove, Mo., Missouri State University Fruit Experiment Station. Ted Probert, 417-741-6134.
• Feb. 27, Jackson, Mo., Cape Girardeau County Extension Center, 684 W. Jackson Trail, 573-243-3581.
• Feb. 28, Union, Mo., Hagie’s Nineteen restaurant, 618 N. Washington Ave. Ken Bolte, 636-583-5141.