USDA monthly milk production report released today
USDA’s monthly Milk Production report will be released at 3 p.m. (Eastern) today, providing preliminary estimates for March, as well as revised estimates for February. Check back with dairyherd.com for a summary and analysis.
Also released today, USDA’s annual Livestock Slaughter report (3 p.m. Eastern) will recap last year's dairy cull cow totals.
Dairy replacement sales results from Turlock, Calif., on April 18:
#1 Hol Springers: $1800-$2375
#2 Hol Springers: $1400-$1775
# 1 Jer Springers: $1500-$2050
# 1 Jer x Springers: $1200-$2000
Holstein Bred Heifers: No test
Holstein Open Heifers: No test
Is there an advantage to more corn acres in your rotation?
The Midwest is very oriented to the production of corn and soybeans. As the price of corn and soybeans vary and as the cost of inputs to produce those two crops vary, farmers construct budgets to estimate the revenue and expenses of those two crops as they compete against each other for acres in the Midwest. The competition for acres is driven by several things including agronomic factors and profitability.
Brandy Krapf, Dwight Raab and Bradley Zwilling, with the Illinois FBFM Association and Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics, analyzed actual 1) yields, 2) crop returns, 3) selected costs, and 4) the residual management returns as the percentage of corn acres in a crop rotation increased over a five-year span. Read more
Chobani innovates to expand product line
Chobani, LLC, announced the most significant portfolio expansion in the company’s history, with six new product innovations coming this summer. The new products joining the Chobani family beginning June 2014:
• Chobani Greek Yogurt Oats, a chilled Greek yogurt mixed with real ripe fruit and whole grain steel-cut oats.
• Chobani Indulgent, its first dessert product, mixing creamy full-fat Greek Yogurt with real cream, dark chocolate and ripe fruits.
• Chobani Kids, a high protein, low sugar snack in new fun, finger-friendly packaging and new flavors — grape, watermelon, vanilla chocolate dust among others.
• Chobani Seasonal, a seasonal twist to the core line, kicking off this summer with watermelon and pink grapefruit
• Chobani Simply 100 Greek Yogurt in Key Lime and Pineapple Coconut.
• 4% whole milk Chobani Kitchen available in a multi-serve format for recipes or a single-serve occasion — perfect for baking or on top of a baked potato, chile and fajatas.