On Tuesday, September 23, CDE will host its annual Dairy Financial and Risk Management Conference. This event will be held at the Central Penn Conference Center in Summerdale, Pa., featuring Greg Bethard as the keynote speaker.
Farm Credit Northeast AgEnhancement grants awarded
The Farm Credit Northeast AgEnhancement Program recently awarded $40,600 to 16 organizations to promote Northeast agriculture, support young and beginning farmer initiatives and encourage agricultural youth programs. Among the recipients are:
• The New York Future Farmers of America (FFA) Leadership Training Foundation was awarded a $12,600 grant to cover the cost of meals, lodging and transportation for each New England and New York FFA association to attend this year’s National Leadership Conference for State Officers.
• A $4,000 grant to New England Green Pastures will support certain agricultural programs at the Big E, including the “Outstanding Dairy Farm of the Year” program and the Salute to Agriculture initiative.
• A $3,000 grant to the Harvest New England Association will fund speakers for the 2015 Harvest New England Agricultural Marketing Conference, a regional educational program for New England farmers. The conference provides timely, educational information that producers can incorporate into their operation.
• A $2,000 grant to the Oneida County 4-H will support AWESOME (Amazing World of Exploring Scientific Oriented Methods and Experiences) at Morrisville State College. This two day statewide 4-H event allows youth to experience life as a college student while participating in hands-on science activities focused on agriculture.
• University of Vermont Extension was awarded a $1,500 grant to support the Vermont Youth Agriculture Individual Development Account Program where up to 25 young farmers from throughout Vermont will build financial literacy and management skills, while saving money toward a business asset purchase.
• A $1,000 grant to Cornell Cooperative Extension of Herkimer County will support the Mohawk Valley 4-H Dairy and Livestock Show and Sale where the youth of Herkimer, Oneida and Madison Counties will have the opportunity to participate in the sale of their animals.
• Granite State FFA was awarded a $1,000 grant to support a collaborative training initiative for the state officers of the New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont FFA Associations.
• A $1,000 grant to the Northeast Organic Farming Association/Massachusetts Chapter (NOFA-MA) will be used to implement a technical assistance program in organic certification. This program will educate and support Massachusetts farmers as they become certified or begin their organic farm.
• The Hampshire, Franklin and Hampden, Massachusetts Agricultural Society was awarded a $1,000 grant to purchase a lifelike milking cow to educate children on the experience of milking a cow, while also learning some basic facts about dairy cows during the Three County Fair to be held Labor Day weekend.
Deadline for the next round of grants is Aug. 1. For information, contact Robert A. Smith, Farm Credit East, 2668 State Route 7, Suite 21, Cobleskill, NY 12043; phone 518-296-8188; or visit FarmCreditEast.com/Industry-Support.aspx