Farm Credit East to host MPP-Dairy webinar
Northeast dairy producers are invited to participate in a webinar covering the new Dairy Margin Protection Program (MPP). This webinar, hosted by Farm Credit East, will take place on Tuesday, June 10, 10-11:30 a.m.
This webinar will feature Dr. Andy Novakovic, of Cornell University, and Dr. John Newton, of University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. They will provide an MPP update, and discuss the program’s interface with LGM-Dairy and other risk management strategies.
This webinar is free. Visit FarmCreditEast.com/webinars for registration information.
MADA ‘tell your story’ training planned
As dairy farmers and agribusiness leaders, you have a powerful story to share. The Mid-Atlantic Dairy Association is offering a series of "Telling Your Story" training workshops to prepare dairy farmers and agribusiness leaders to share that story with consumers.
The first in a series of 10 workshops will be "Social Media 101." That session is planned for Thursday, June 12, 10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., at Butler County Community College in Butler, Pa. Series topics include getting started in social media, preparing for animal activism, having one-on-one conversations, and creating a crisis plan for your farm.
Protecting Your Profits webinar now online
The latest Pennsylvania Center for Dairy Excellence (CDE) "Protecting Your Profits" webinar is now available online. It offers a look at current dairy markets, margins available through LGM-Dairy and other risk management opportunities, and a look at what to expect with the new Margin Protection Program for Dairy. CDE Risk Management Program Manager Alan Zepp hosts the call. Click here to access the recording.
‘Community Event Planning Toolkit’ available
The Center for Dairy Excellence, Mid-Atlantic Dairy Association and Pennsylvania Dairy Promotion Program have published a new "Community Event Planning Toolkit," available to farms and agribusinesses planning open house or other events for the community. The toolkit combines resources from the "Discover Dairy" and "Your Milk Comes From A Good Place" programs. To request a copy, contact the Center for Dairy Excellence at 717-346-0849 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
CDE welcomes Canupp as summer intern
Pennsylvania’s Center for Dairy Excellence (CDE) has named Elizabeth Canupp as intern for the summer of 2014. Canupp is a native of Gainesville, Ga., and will work with center staff to expand her knowledge of the dairy industry and refine her business and communication skills.
As the communications intern, Canupp will coordinate the summer Open House events in July, as well as enhance the Discover Dairy program and assist in the reformatting of the Dairy Leaders of Tomorrow program.
Canupp is a recent graduate of Berry College in Rome, Ga. with a bachelor of science in Animal Science. During her time at Berry, she served as CEO of The Berry Farms Agriculture Education Enterprise, Genetics Manager of The Berry Farms Genetics Enterprise and various supervisory roles at The Berry College Rollins Dairy. In the fall, Canupp will attend Clemson University for her Masters of Agricultural Education, with a full assistantship helping to coordinate South Carolina’s 4H and FFA programming.
For more information about the Center for Dairy Excellence, call 717-346-0849 or visit www.centerfordairyexcellence.org.
Gilbert re-elected chair of Farm Credit East board
Two Northeast dairy farmers were recently re-elected to the Farm Credit East board of directors:
• Andrew J. Gilbert, from Potsdam, N.Y., was re-elected to a 4-year term. Andy owns and operates Adon Farms in partnership with his brother. The Gilberts milk 1,250 cows and raise their own replacements and forage.
• Richard P. Janiga was re-elected to a 4-year term. Rick is president of R & D Janiga Enterprises LLC, a 300-cow dairy, custom harvest and cash crop operation in East Aurora, NY.
At its reorganization meeting, the board re-elected Gilbert as its chair.
Farm Credit East is a customer-owned agricultural cooperative and part of the nationwide Farm Credit System, serving Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island. For more information, go to FarmCreditEast.com.
CDE plans ‘open house’ series
Pennsylvania’s Center for Dairy Excellence (CDE) will host its 2014 "Open House" series at two locations in July:
• Tuesday, July 15, Misty Meadow Dairy LLC, owned by the Mosemann family in Warfordsburg, Fulton County, Pa.
• Wednesday, July 16, Lloyd B. Zimmerman and Sons Dairy Farm in Danville, Montour County, Pa.
Both events include a farm tour, a look at the farm family's best management practices, a brief program and a picnic-style lunch.
CDE Dairy PROS, financial/risk management events planned
The Center for Dairy Excellence (CDE) will host a Dairy PROS breakfast meeting, Wednesday, Aug. 15, in conjunction with Ag Progress Days in Rock Springs, Pa. This event is jointly hosted by the center and Penn State Extension Dairy Team.
On Tuesday, September 23, CDE will host its annual Dairy Financial and Risk Management Conference. This event will be held at the Central Penn Conference Center in Summerdale, Pa., featuring Greg Bethard as the keynote speaker.
Farm Credit Northeast AgEnhancement grants awarded
The Farm Credit Northeast AgEnhancement Program recently awarded $40,600 to 16 organizations to promote Northeast agriculture, support young and beginning farmer initiatives and encourage agricultural youth programs. Among the recipients are:
• The New York Future Farmers of America (FFA) Leadership Training Foundation was awarded a $12,600 grant to cover the cost of meals, lodging and transportation for each New England and New York FFA association to attend this year’s National Leadership Conference for State Officers.
• A $4,000 grant to New England Green Pastures will support certain agricultural programs at the Big E, including the “Outstanding Dairy Farm of the Year” program and the Salute to Agriculture initiative.
• A $3,000 grant to the Harvest New England Association will fund speakers for the 2015 Harvest New England Agricultural Marketing Conference, a regional educational program for New England farmers. The conference provides timely, educational information that producers can incorporate into their operation.
• A $2,000 grant to the Oneida County 4-H will support AWESOME (Amazing World of Exploring Scientific Oriented Methods and Experiences) at Morrisville State College. This two day statewide 4-H event allows youth to experience life as a college student while participating in hands-on science activities focused on agriculture.
• University of Vermont Extension was awarded a $1,500 grant to support the Vermont Youth Agriculture Individual Development Account Program where up to 25 young farmers from throughout Vermont will build financial literacy and management skills, while saving money toward a business asset purchase.
• A $1,000 grant to Cornell Cooperative Extension of Herkimer County will support the Mohawk Valley 4-H Dairy and Livestock Show and Sale where the youth of Herkimer, Oneida and Madison Counties will have the opportunity to participate in the sale of their animals.
• Granite State FFA was awarded a $1,000 grant to support a collaborative training initiative for the state officers of the New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont FFA Associations.
• A $1,000 grant to the Northeast Organic Farming Association/Massachusetts Chapter (NOFA-MA) will be used to implement a technical assistance program in organic certification. This program will educate and support Massachusetts farmers as they become certified or begin their organic farm.
• The Hampshire, Franklin and Hampden, Massachusetts Agricultural Society was awarded a $1,000 grant to purchase a lifelike milking cow to educate children on the experience of milking a cow, while also learning some basic facts about dairy cows during the Three County Fair to be held Labor Day weekend.
Deadline for the next round of grants is Aug. 1. For information, contact Robert A. Smith, Farm Credit East, 2668 State Route 7, Suite 21, Cobleskill, NY 12043; phone 518-296-8188; or visit FarmCreditEast.com/Industry-Support.aspx