Friday, Feb. 21
8 a.m. – Welcome, Dr. Gonzalo Ferreira
8:05 a.m. — How do forage quality measures translate to value to the dairy producer? – Normand St. Pierre, Ph.D., Ohio State University
8:45 a.m. – "Farming and Technology: A Dairyman’s Perspective"" – Jeff Bewley, Ph.D., University of Kentucky
9:30 a.m. – Digital Dermatitis, an Endemic Claw Disease. What can we do to control it? – Dana Tomlinson, Ph.D., Zinpro
10:30 a.m. – "Dairying in Argentina: cheap milk – Gonzalo Ferreira, Ph.D., Virginia Tech Department. of Dairy Science
11:30 a.m. – Managing the critical control points of the calf operation – Bob James, Ph.D., Virginia Tech Department of Dairy Science
Virginia Farm Transition Workshop: Overview of Farm Transition
A “Farm Transition Workshop: Overview of Farm Transition” will be held on Saturday, Feb. 22, 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., at the The Franklin Center, 50 Claiborne Avenue Rocky Mount, Va.
Families with questions about taxes, legal and family issues of transferring their farm and forest lands and agriculture, greenhouse, and nursery businesses are encouraged to attend the one day workshop. The workshop will help farm owners and their families plan for the successful transfer of the farm and forest lands and business.
Some of the topics that will be included in this program are:
• Goals for the Future of Your Farm – Handling the tough issues of family communication
• Business Profitability – Maximizing income to assist in farm transfer
• Retirement Planning – Developing a stable income stream in your later years
• Estate Planning – Approaching tough questions about fairly dividing your estate
• Tax Management Issues – Minimizing taxes in business and wealth transfer
• Business Organizations – Utilizing business entities to manage and transfer assets
The speaker panel will include a nationally known attorney who has expertise in ownership succession issues, the use of limited liability companies (LLCs), and other techniques used to transfer wealth and tax management issues.
The $15/person registration fee will help cover program expenses. Lunch is included in this program. Registration must be received by Feb. 19.
Contact Cynthia Martel or Sean Duff at the Virginia Cooperative Extension Office in Rocky Mount, VA at (540) 483-5161 if you need more information.