Land O'Lakes, Inc. is reinforcing its commitment to addressing the task of feeding more than 9 billion people by 2050 by introducing the Global Food Challenge Emerging Leaders for Food Security fellowship, a unique internship and development program for 10 students at five universities. The fellowship will support the emerging leaders of tomorrow as they work to identify innovative and practical ways to meet the world's need for a 70 percent increase in global food production. These students, sophomores at the University of Minnesota, Purdue University, Iowa State University, Northwestern University, and George Washington University, will be matched with university professors who will help guide the research they conduct.
"Today we are expanding our investment in the leaders of tomorrow and giving them the tools and experience to start addressing one of society's most significant issues: ensuring food security," said Chris Policinski, president and CEO of Land O'Lakes, Inc. "There is no better way to help drive global security than to ensure food security. We are pleased to partner with these universities and hope to inspire these students to engage in the challenge of feeding a growing global population."
The fellowship will provide these students with the opportunity to engage with other future leaders and advocates for food and agriculture as they help educate others about the challenges and opportunities facing agriculture in the coming decades.
Students were selected through a competitive application process from a broad range of education programs that deliver the mix of skills and experience necessary to bring news ideas to feeding the hungry around the world. Throughout the 2014-2015 academic year, the students will participate in a series of "challenges," assignments designed to spur their thinking about food security issues. The first assignment will be announced in November 2014.
The experience will culminate in an 11-week paid summer internship, which will begin in May 2015 and include travel to Africa, Washington, D.C., and key Land O'Lakes locations. The students will present their final projects to industry experts and leaders at The Global Food Challenge Summit, hosted in Fall 2015 at Land O'Lakes headquarters in Arden Hills, Minnesota.
Learn more about the Global Food Challenge and join the conversation at http://foodchallenge.landolakesinc.com.
This year's participants are:
- Jacquelyn Brown, a Purdue University student from Medford, Oregon, majoring in agribusiness management and ag communications
- Oswin Chackochan, a Purdue University student from South Bend, Indiana, majoring in management and marketing
- Linnea Cline, a Purdue University student from Charleston, Illinois, majoring in marketing and accounting
- Mandi Egeland, a University of Minnesota student from Grand Forks, North Dakota, majoring in MIS and entrepreneurial management
- Trey Forsyth, an Iowa State student from Charles City, Iowa, majoring in ag business, agriculture and society
- Ariel Garsow, a University of Minnesota student from Beloit, Wisconsin, majoring in food science
- Tara Mittelberg, a Northwestern University student from Cedar Rapids, Iowa majoring in human biology and international studies
- Olivia Reicks, an Iowa State University student from Lawler, Iowa, majoring in supply chain management and business economics
- Jonathon Sabel, a University of Minnesota student from Eagan, Minnesota, majoring in chemical engineering
- Anna Sumi, a George Washington University student from Madison, Wisconsin, majoring in political communication
Source: Land O'Lakes, Inc.