The Purdue University Extension Dairy Team and Indiana Professional Dairy Producers will again partner with the Indiana Forage Council to present regional dairy meetings in five Indiana counties in February and March.
The meetings will give dairy producers the chance to learn more about dairy policy, animal health and farm energy audits.
"Participants will be able to learn about a variety of topics," said Tamilee Nennich, Purdue Extension dairy specialist. "Depending on the location, there will be discussions on the use of cover crops, manure management, energy usage and reducing mastitis in dairy herds."
The meetings run from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., local time. Dates and locations are:
- Feb. 28 (changed from March 8): Byron Seeds, 775 N. 350 E., Rockville, Parke County. Contact: 317-695-8228
- Feb. 29: Back 40 Junction Restaurant, 1011 N. 13th St., Decatur, Adams County. Contact: 260-724-3355
- March 1: Elkhart County Community Center, 17746 E. County Road 34, Goshen. Contact: 574-533-0554
- March 6: The Log Inn, 12653 S. 200 E., Warrenton, Gibson County. Contact: 812-867-3216
- March 7: Bartholomew County 4-H Fairgrounds, Family Arts Building, 750 W. 200 S., Columbus. Contact: 812-379-1665
Participants at Decatur and Goshen will hear "How to Keep from Being Regulated," by Todd Janzen, agricultural attorney and partner at Plews Shadley Racher and Braun.
Rockville, Warrenton and Columbus meetings will include "Reducing Mastitis in Your Dairy Herd" by Jonathan Townsend, Purdue Extension dairy production medicine specialist.
Also presenting at Warrenton and Columbus will be Purdue Extension renewable energy specialist Chad Martin with his talk, "Energy Audits for Dairy Farms."
All locations will include a presentation titled "Using Cover Crops to Your Advantage" by the Indiana Forage Council and the Natural Resources Conservation Service.
Registration is free for the first registrant from an Indiana Professional Dairy Producers membership. Additional registrants from membership families or farms are $10 per person. Non-member registration is $20 per person. Fees include lunch.
Brochures with more information and registration forms are available by calling the numbers listed for each location or by contacting Nennich at 765-494-4823, email@example.com