Dieters ready to keep their New Year’s resolutions have an ally as close as the refrigerator.
In the latest ‘got milk?’ ad campaign from the California Milk Processor Board, milk pairs with other power foods to keep dieters on track and losing weight.
The campaign has teamed up with fitness blogger and expert Carmen Melgoza, a popular trainer and social media guru, to provide free online fitness and nutrition tips.
"It's about lifestyle change that begins with the right foods and exercises," Melgoza said in a news release. "Milk is a key part of my day! It helps me stay full longer when controlling my portion sizes and it gives me all the protein I need for a good workout."
In particular, Melgoza suggests five tips for starting 2014 on the way to a fit and healthy lifestyle:
- Start small – Eat a well-balanced breakfast to start your day on the right foot. Research suggests eating a protein-rich breakfast can help prevent overeating later in the day.
- Don’t exclude; include – Eat a variety of food, such as fruit, vegetables, lean proteins, low-fat milk and dairy products, to help you get the vitamins and nutrients your body needs.
- Break it up – Curb hunger by eating smaller portions three times a day and incorporating healthy snacks. “Add a glass of low or nonfat milk to keep you feeling full longer when cutting back on portion sizes.”
- Find a buddy – A support will help you make healthy decisions, such as passing on dessert and sticking to an exercise plan.
- Take it outside – “As weather permits, try exercising outdoors. It’s an ideal place for a run, a bike ride or a brisk walk.”
Research has found insufficient calcium/dairy intake may be part of the problem behind the obesity crisis. One of the keys to dairy’s weight-loss properties may be nicotinamide riboside, a naturally-occurring ingredient in milk. Other benefits from regularly consuming dairy products include treating obesity, fighting osteoporosis, preventing type 2 diabetes, decreasing the risk of stroke and lowering the risk for heart disease.