Twelve dairy members have been appointed to the National Dairy Promotion and Research Board by USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack. Terms will begin immediately and end on Oct. 31, 2014.
According to DairyBusiness News, newly appointment members include:
- Kima Simonson, Washington (Region 1)
- Lynda Foster, Kansas (Region 4)
- John Howerton, Arkansas (Region 4)
- Amber Horn-Leiterman, Wisconsin (Region 6)
- Larry Shover, Iowa (Region 7)
- Julie Veldhuis Lund, Idaho (Region 8)
- Urban Mescher, Ohio (Region 9)
- Celeste Deaderick Blackburn, Tennessee (Region 10)
- Harold Howrigan, Jr., Vermont (Region 12)
Three members of the dairy board were reappointed to serve second terms:
- Ronald Shelton, Colorado (Region 3)
- Kenton Holle, North Dakota (Region 5)
- Sharon Laubscher, Wisconsin (Region 6)
The 38-member Dairy Board, established under the Dairy Production Stabilization Act of 1983, develops and administers a coordinated program of promotion, research, and nutrition education. The board is also authorized to design programs to strengthen the dairy industry’s position in domestic and foreign markets. It is financed by a mandatory, 15¢/cwt. assessment on all milk marketed commercially and a 7.5¢/cwt. assessment of milk and dairy products imported into the United States.