The New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets (NYSDAM), Pro Dairy and county cooperative extension offices have teamed up around the state to provide multiple opportunities for farmers to learn about the federal Livestock Gross Margin for Dairy or LGM-Dairy crop insurance program. It is expected that farmers will have the opportunity to sign up for the program once again in late October.
LGM-Dairy Crop Insurance program is based on milk income over feed costs, which the program calls a "gross margin". The insurance program covers the difference between the expected gross margin (insurance guarantee) and the actual gross margin for the months the producer selects for coverage, based on the amount of milk the producer chooses to insure.
Dr. Brian Gould, a professor at the University of Wisconsin and a national expert on the program, will be giving each of the identical live on-line webinar presentations. Webinar dates are Monday, October 3, Wednesday, October 5; Friday, October 7; Wednesday, October 12 and Friday, October 14. Meetings start promptly at 11 am. Chose the date best for you.
LGM-Dairy was suspended in April 2011 due to lack of funding. Sales are expected to resume with the beginning of the 2012 federal fiscal year in October. Experts predict that all funding for underwriting costs will be exhausted in the first enrollment opportunity, which starts on Friday, October 28 at 5PM and ends on Saturday, October 29 at 9PM.
Three ways to participate:
Producers can go to their county Cornell Cooperative Extension office for a scheduled viewing session with CCE staff. See the listing and contact information below.
To participate from a home computer, pre-register for the webinars by going to the NYSDAM website at: http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us/AP/CropInsuranceEvents.html. Scroll down to the date you wish to participate and click on the registration link. You will receive an e-mail confirming your registration, with instructions to join the session. If you have trouble registering, please call NYSDAM at 800-554-4501.
After October 3, producers can also listen to a recording of the live webinar by going to the Department’s website and clicking on the presentation. See: http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us/AP/CropInsuranceEvents.html
All educational webinar sessions begin at 11 am.
- Internet only
- Cortland Co CCE Cortland, Sharon VanDeuson 607-753-5078
- Tioga Co. CCE Owego, Sharon VanDeuson 607-753-5078
- Tompkins Co. CCE Ithaca, Sharon VanDeuson 607-753-5078
- Madison Co. CCE Office, Morrisville, Karen Baase 315-684-3001
- Steuben CCE Office, Bath, Jim Grace 607-664-2316
- Oswego CCE, Mexico, JJ Schell 315-963-7286
- Orange Co. CCE Office, Middleton, Jenifer Simpson 845-344-1234
- Cayuga Co. CCE, Auburn, Dan Welch 315-255-1183
- Washington Co. CCE Hudson Falls, Sandy Buxton 518-746-2560
- Columbia Co. CCE Hudson, Steve Hadcock 518-828-3346
- Chautauqua Co CCE. Jamestown, Ginny Carlberg 716-664-9502
- Oneida Co. CCE Oriskany, Marylynn Collins 315-736-3394
- Allegany Co. CCE Belmont, Tom Parmenter 585-268-7644
St Lawrence Co CCE Canton, Stephen Canner 315-379-9192