No citations will be filed against the employers of two teenage girls who were electrocuted while detasseling corn in Illinois last summer.
The decision announced last week by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) applies to the July 25 deaths of Jade Garza and Hannah Kendall, both 14. The girls were working in a field when they were electrocuted by a nearby irrigation system.
OSHA found the incident an “unfortunate accident.” Read more.
OSHA’s decision comes as the U.S. Department of Labor considers tougher regulations on the type of labor that children can perform on farms. Detasseling is one of the jobs that may affected.
This article on child labor regulations cited the deaths of the two 14-year-old girls last summer.