Penn State’s Extension Dairy Team has scheduled five “Tools for Teams” webinars designed for members of dairy advisory teams to provide in-depth information on using whole farm and management tools to achieve maximum profitability.
While the webinars build upon information presented at the on-site workshops, including some topics that arose during the workshops, new participants are welcome. Interaction with presenters and other participants will be encouraged, so participants are can feel free to be prepared with questions. All webinars will begin at 10:30 a.m.
Webinars scheduled include:
- May 30: Team Talk - Working Together to Achieve Outstanding Results, Lisa Holden, associate professor, Penn State Department of Animal Science, presenter. Learn why teams are useful for improving dairy farm management, and how productive "team talk" can lead to new ideas, better ways of operating and positive changes to the bottom line. Anyone working with a dairy team can benefit from participating in this webinar which will provide examples of communication struggles as well as positive "team talk" examples.
- June 13: How the Dairy Profit Monitor Can Drive Discussion in Dairy Profit Groups, Betsey Howland, PRO-DAIRY Program at Cornell University, presenter. The Dairy Profit Monitor is an online, benchmarking tool that farms can use to measure net milk income over feed costs on a monthly basis. Net milk income over feed costs is a key indicator of profitability for farms.
- June 27: How New York’s FarmNet’s Team Approach Works, Daniel Welch, NY FarmNet/NY FarmLink, presenter. NY FarmNet uses a team approach of financial and personal consultants working closely with farm families to develop strategies to overcome barriers to business success. Discover how the program works, how farm families can access NY FarmNet services, and the issues that the program most often sees.
- July 11: The Power of Benchmarking, Mike Hosterman, Ag Business Consultant, AgChoice Farm Credit, presenter. Understand how benchmarking can help you and your team reach effective decisions to maximize profitability.
- July 25: Navigating Dairy Advisory Teams through DHI Records, Rob Goodling, Penn State Extension associate. Advisory teams can easily be inundated with data when trying to investigate and monitor their goals and objectives. This webinar will address key steps to identifying the right metrics from DHI records for greater team focus and understanding.
The webinar series offers dairy advisory team members insight into using the wide variety of management tools available to effectively optimize use of farm resources.
Registration is free of charge, but advance registration is required and should be completed by noon the day prior to the webinar.
Upon registering, you will receive information about accessing the training site. You may register by phone toll-free at 888-373-7232, or online at extension.psu.edu/animals/dairy/events. Participants need to register just once to be eligible to be part of all webinars.
For those unable to participate in the live sessions, all webinars will be recorded and posted online for later viewing at extension.psu.edu/dairy.
“Tools for Teams” is made possible through a grant from Northeast Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education. One SmartStart credit from AgChoice Farm Credit will be awarded for every two webinars a registrant participates in.
For additional information or questions, contact Dr. Lisa Holden, toll-free, at 888-373-7232 or firstname.lastname@example.org.