Milk quality is of the utmost importance on a dairy. When mastitis-management programs include treatment protocols, it is important for dairy producers to focus on strategies to avoid residues in milk and meat.
Work with your veterinarian to determine steps that can help limit your risk of residues:
- Establish written treatment protocols.
- Consult your veterinarian for label indications.
- Follow withdrawal times for milk and meat.
- Identify and track treated cows.
- Pay attention to record-keeping.
Looking for a place to start in developing a plan for residue avoidance? Get step-by-step tips at www.milkqualityfocus.com with videos featuring Jorge Noricumbo, quality milk manager, Pfizer Animal Health; Max Bollenbacher, dairy producer, Argos Holstein Farms; and Sally Harper, veterinarian, Lancaster Veterinary Clinic.
Source: Pfizer Animal Health