A hands-on workshop will offer dairy advisory team members insight into using whole farm and management tools more effectively to ensure optimum use of farm resources. Presented by Penn State’s Extension Dairy team, the program will highlight the use of PA Dairy Tool, Income Over Feed Cost Tool, Cash Flow Planning Tool, Dairy Analysis Tools and Monthly Monitor Tool to help teams improve success. The first workshop will be held on October 30 in Blair County, PA.
Participants can try out tools on their own following the workshop, then access follow-up webinars and conference calls with instructors to ask questions and get more detailed information for their use.
Topics to be covered include:
- What a successful team looks like
- How to use whole farm and team management tools
- Monitoring and using information to make decisions
- A case study based on an actual farm and team
The workshops are being offered at two locations in Pennsylvania as well as New York and Vermont, and will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Dates and locations are:
- Blair County, PA: October 30, Altoona Ramada, Exit 31 off I-99, 1 Sheraton Drive, Altoona, PA
- Franklin County, PA: March 20, 2013, Ag Heritage Center, 185 Franklin Farm Lane, Chambersburg, PA
- New York: March 27, 2013: Cornell Extension Madison County Ag Center, 100 Eaton Street, Morrisville, NY
- Vermont: April 18, 2013, Randolph Small Business center, 1540 Vermont Route 66, Randolph, VT
Instructors will be Dr. Lisa Holden, associate professor, Penn State Department of Animal Science; Rob Goodling, Penn State Extension associate; Virginia Ishler, Penn State Extension specialist; Rebecca White, Penn State research associate; Tony Kitsos, farm management educator, University of Vermont; and Karen Baase, extension issues leader, Cornell Cooperative Extension.
Fee is $35 per person. Scholarships are available for those willing to share data with instructors. Participants may bring a second person from their business at no additional charge. Pre-registration is necessary to ensure an adequate amount of workshop materials is available.
For additional information or questions, contact Dr. Lisa Holden, toll-free, at 888-373-7232 or email@example.com. Registration may be done toll-free at 888-373-7232.
“Tools for Teams” is made possible through a grant from Northeast Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education. This program is eligible for one SmartStart credit from AgChoice Farm Credit.