The Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board (WMMB) board of directors recently met to review the promotion and marketing results for the fiscal year ending June 30. The meeting included reports from WMMB staff and a presentation from United Dairy Industry Association (UDIA) and Dairy Management, Inc. (DMI). Among the highlights:
• A cooperative effort among staff was the Grilled Cheese Recipe Showdown. This was a nationwide event that collected recipes from participants from April 1–May 12. (The winning recipes are still being determined.) Efforts from the staff produced more than 82 million consumer impressions and recipe submissions from 46 states.
• Retail continues to expand with growth achieved in Costco, Whole Foods, HEB and Kroger stores across the nation. Also look for the Wisconsin Cheese logo on cheese items at your local Kwik Trip convenience stores.
• The Foodservice department announced a new partnership with Milio's Sandwiches. Wisconsin is home to the sub sandwich franchise which, has now added a line of sandwiches that uses fresh Mozzarella from Wisconsin. Milio's Sandwiches join the likes of Topper's Pizza, Firehouse Subs, Culver's and Cheddar's Casual Café in partnering with WMMB and sourcing cheese from Wisconsin for their menu items.
• The Wisconsin Master Cheesemaker® program celebrated its 20th anniversary this year. The program now includes 60 Masters from 33 different cheese companies. This program is made possible through the joint sponsorship of the Wisconsin Center for Dairy Research (CDR), UW-Extension and WMMB. Learn more about this program by viewing a Wisconsin Dairy News story on www.dairydoingmore.org/Videos/wisconsin-dairy-news.aspx.
• WMMB continues to work with cheese makers, processors, CDR and retailers on new technology and food safety. This area also works with Wisconsin Veterinary Medical Association and other industry partners to assure a safe and secure milk supply within the state as well as conducts and participates in exercises and training to be prepared in the event of a crisis.
• The online magazine, Grate. Pair. Share. exceeded expectations. In its short lifespan, having launched in 2012, the magazine has 15.7 million lifetime views for all issues of the publication. The corporate communications division continued its promotion of online offerings with an all new All Thinks Mac & Cheese website. Launched on National Cheese Lover's Day in January this website has already garnered 71,000 visits.