PORTALES, N.M. (AP) - A fire at a Portales dairy has destroyed about 500 tons of hay and damaged a barn.
Portales Fire Department Battalion Chief Lance Hill says the cause of Sunday's blaze was not known, and he had no damage estimate.
Hill says firefighters from Portales and Arch battled the blaze for nearly seven hours.
He says they provided protection for dairy workers to use fork lifts to save some bales from the burning hay barn.
Hill says the dairy owner said he had been by the barn about an hour before the fire was discovered, but saw no smoke.
Information from: Portales News-Tribune
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press.
Dairy Fire In Portales Destroys Tons Of Hay
- Post-wean digestion impaired in intensive-fed rapidly weaned calf
- Massage and mooo-d music soothe Vietnam's Miss Milk Cow
- Meeting to showcase anaerobic digester for renewable energy
- Wednesday's CME Dairy Market Recap
- DHM Numbers: Dairy CPI mostly higher in September
- Ag markets posted divergent closes Wednesday
- WTO again sides with Canada, Mexico on US COOL law
- Commentary: A beef with yogurt
- VIDEO: Maddox family's "one cow" philosophy changed industry
- BVD control: Segmented U.S.production system presents challenges
- 24 robots will soon be operating under one roof in New Zealand
- Wash. judge rules non-competes “unenforceable” for A.I. techs