PORTALES, N.M. (AP) - A fire at a Portales dairy has destroyed about 500 tons of hay and damaged a barn.
Portales Fire Department Battalion Chief Lance Hill says the cause of Sunday's blaze was not known, and he had no damage estimate.
Hill says firefighters from Portales and Arch battled the blaze for nearly seven hours.
He says they provided protection for dairy workers to use fork lifts to save some bales from the burning hay barn.
Hill says the dairy owner said he had been by the barn about an hour before the fire was discovered, but saw no smoke.
Information from: Portales News-Tribune
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press.
Dairy Fire In Portales Destroys Tons Of Hay
- DHM Numbers: Pennsylvania, Missouri dairy cattle sales
- FairRent, now online, helps you find land rent values
- Wednesday's CME Dairy Market Recap
- Ag markets proved rather divergent Wednesday
- Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy® seeking next class of stewards
- Ten Do’s & Don’ts for ‘Low-Cost’ and ‘Retrofit’ Milking Parlors
- One Nebraska farmer takes ALS ice bucket challenge to extreme
- Organic/conventional quite indifferent in cow health, milk
- Iowa rancher is next star on 'The Bachelor'
- 72-stall robotic rotary breaks ground in Wisconsin
- Got Milk? Expands communications in unique agency partnership
- Cows, farms also under gunfire near Gaza strip