PORTALES, N.M. (AP) - A fire at a Portales dairy has destroyed about 500 tons of hay and damaged a barn.
Portales Fire Department Battalion Chief Lance Hill says the cause of Sunday's blaze was not known, and he had no damage estimate.
Hill says firefighters from Portales and Arch battled the blaze for nearly seven hours.
He says they provided protection for dairy workers to use fork lifts to save some bales from the burning hay barn.
Hill says the dairy owner said he had been by the barn about an hour before the fire was discovered, but saw no smoke.
Information from: Portales News-Tribune
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press.
Dairy Fire In Portales Destroys Tons Of Hay
- Vance Agribusiness names 2014 40 Under 40 honorees
- 6 questions and answers about rumen development in calves
- Life changes, but fall brings World Dairy Expo
- Last look at New Holland Pavilions before World Dairy Expo
- Dairy calf care: Every delivery is special
- Dairy calf care: When to assist, what to do