New York State Acting Agriculture Commissioner Darrel J. Aubertine today announced a continuation of workshops designed to help dairy farmers maintain profitability in an uncertain market environment. Managing the Margin workshops teach dairy producers effective risk management strategies they can use to anticipate and manage price risks for both milk and feed. Seven workshops will be offered throughout the State in the month of March.
“We’re seeing an increased interest among dairy producers in learning how to better manage the risk associated with their business climate,” the Commissioner said. “The Managing the Margins workshop helps develop risk management skills and increase the confidence level of dairy farmers in the face of volatile markets. Our goal by hosting these workshops is to help farmers improve the bottom line of their operations, which remain the economic backbone to much of upstate New York.”
The objective of the workshop is to provide producers with concepts and tools to determine breakeven prices, marketing plans, and crop insurance decisions appropriate for their operations under various conditions. Specific topics that will be discussed include margin risk, risk tolerance, breakeven analysis, use of crop insurance, and market volatility. The “Managing the Margin” workshop was developed by and will be conducted by John Berry, a former dairy farmer who now works for Cooperative Extension in Pennsylvania. This is the same workshop that was offered in January at various locations throughout the State.
Register Now! The next seven Department-sponsored workshops are all scheduled in March. The program begins at 10:30 a.m. and runs until 3:00 p.m. A $15 to $20 local registration fee secures lunch and a spot at the workshop. Space is limited, so early registration is recommended.
- March 10, 2011 in Ballston Spa, CCE of Saratoga County, 50 West High Street, Ballston Spa, RSVP to Richard Smith at (518) 885-8995 x229
- March 11, 2011 in Cobleskill, CCE of Schoharie County, 173 South Grand Street, Cobleskill, RSVP to David Cox at (518) 234-4303
- March 21, 2011 in Randolph, Randolph Municipal Building, 72 Main Street, Randolph, RSVP to Lynn A. Bliven at (585) 268-7644 x18 or 716-699-2377 x124
- March 22, 2011 in Batavia, CCE of Genesee County, 420 East Main Street, Batavia, RSVP to Cathy Wallace at (585) 343-3040 x138
- March 23, 2011 in Geneva, NYS Agricultural Experiment Station, Jordan Hall, 630 West North Street, Geneva, RSVP to Cathy Wallace at (585) 343-3040 x138
- March 24, 2011 in Bath, Civil Defense Center, 7220 State Route 54, Bath, RSVP to Jim Grace at (607) 664-2316
- March 25, 2011 in Oneonta, Holiday Inn, 5206 Highway 23, Oneonta, RSVP to Marianne Kiraly at (607) 865-6531
Managing the Margins workshops are coordinated by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets Crop Insurance Education Program and funded by the USDA Risk Management Agency. Other crop insurance education opportunities for dairy farmers include a monthly dairy gross margin crop insurance webinar series, grain marketing workshops, and others that are listed on the Department’s Web site.
Further information on the New York Crop Insurance Education Program is available by contacting Sarah Johnston at (800) 554-4501.
Source: New York State Department of Agriculture