A fire at a Portales dairy has destroyed about 500 tons of hay and damaged a barn.
Portales Fire Department Battalion Chief Lance Hill says the cause of Sunday's blaze was not known, and he had no damage estimate.
Hill says firefighters from Portales and Arch battled the blaze for nearly seven hours.
He says they provided protection for dairy workers to use fork lifts to save some bales from the burning hay barn.
Hill says the dairy owner said he had been by the barn about an hour before the fire was discovered, but saw no smoke.
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.
Fire At Dairy Destroys Tons Of Hay
- Ag markets moved unanimously lower Wednesday morning
- Merck presents bovine veterinary students with awards
- Tips for 'Hiring' Third-Party Professionals
- Quality Assurance Veterinarian of the Year has been selected
- Two companies focus on increased meat and milk production
- Dairy markets: Class III futures ‘meteoric’
- Vance Agribusiness names 2014 40 Under 40 honorees
- 6 questions and answers about rumen development in calves
- Dairy calf care: Every delivery is special
- Last look at New Holland Pavilions before World Dairy Expo
- Dairy calf care: Get a handle on dystocia data
- Dairy calf care: When to assist, what to do