Why Use a Rolling Geometric Mean?
- the geometric mean is the mathematically correct statistic to use for averaging SCC data
- using a geometric mean will lead to increased international harmonization of standards
- a rolling geometric mean based on three consecutive monthly samples reduces the possible volatility in herd SCC observed in some herds where a few cows can have a major impact on SCC, and/or the volatility observed with season of the year and adverse weather conditions
- it is easier for herds to stay in compliance with SCC regulations when a geometric mean is used
- a rolling geometric mean calculation for herd SCC provides producers with a valuable management statistic
- calculating a geometric mean is easily accomplished with computer software or scientific calculators