Investigators have determined the death of three dairy cows in Enumclaw, Wash., was accidental.

The reddish-brown toxic material apparently dripped down onto the cows’ backs from where it was stored in the barn. The corrosive substance ate through the container it was stored in and the rest is now history.

Last week FDA scientists had determined the substance was a "strong oxidizing chromium compound."

Investigators say the chemical substance had been stored in the barn for some time. And it is possible that the producer just forgot it was there.

The EPA will continue to work with the dairy to clean up and dispose of the substance.

Seattle Post-Intelligencer