Q. Our fresh cows are getting ketosis 10 days after freshening. Also lack of appetite. At the time of freshening cows are given a tube of calcium and ketogel. Upon finding they have ketosis we drench them with PG/200cc once daily for 4 days.
A. The key is to get or keep these cows eating. Low intake leads to ketosis. Anyway to simulate feed intake will be a plus (added flake of 180 relative feed value forage), top dress 2 or 3 pounds of roasted soybeans, adding liquid molasses to enhance palability, add yeast culture, feed 2 or 3 pounds of sticky calf starter, or any other tricks of the trade.
Source: Mike Hutjens, Extension Dairy Specialist, University of IL
DairyNet Ask An Expert: Fresh Cows & Ketosis
- BQA Producers Forum open to all checkoff investors
- Improved harvest weather is weighing on the crop markets Monday
- GMO labeling foes spend big on campaigns in Oregon, Colorado
- Land O'Lakes creates 10 new fellowships at 5 universities
- Michigan State seeks 2015 Dairy Farmer of the Year applications
- Innovation Center For US Dairy: Mind The (Energy) Gap