Marathon County authorities say a fire has swept through a barn, leading to the death of 22 head of cattle.
The sheriff's department says firefighters were called to the blaze Friday about 3:30 a.m. Sheriff's Lt. Dale Wisnewski says firefighters arrived to find the barn engulfed in flames.
Wisnewski says 11 head of cattle died as a direct result of the fire. He says the other 11 had to be euthanized by a veterinarian because of their injuries.
No people were injured.
Wisnewski tells the Wausau Daily Herald the cause of the fire remains under investigation, but it doesn't appear to be suspicious.
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.
Fire In Wisconsin Barn Leads To Death Of 22 Cattle
- Vance Agribusiness names 2014 40 Under 40 honorees
- 6 questions and answers about rumen development in calves
- Dairy calf care: Every delivery is special
- Dairy calf care: When to assist, what to do
- Dairy calf care: Get a handle on dystocia data
- Last look at New Holland Pavilions before World Dairy Expo