Marathon County authorities say a fire has swept through a barn, leading to the death of 22 head of cattle.
The sheriff's department says firefighters were called to the blaze Friday about 3:30 a.m. Sheriff's Lt. Dale Wisnewski says firefighters arrived to find the barn engulfed in flames.
Wisnewski says 11 head of cattle died as a direct result of the fire. He says the other 11 had to be euthanized by a veterinarian because of their injuries.
No people were injured.
Wisnewski tells the Wausau Daily Herald the cause of the fire remains under investigation, but it doesn't appear to be suspicious.
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.
Fire In Wisconsin Barn Leads To Death Of 22 Cattle
- DHM Numbers: Cattle on feed, dairy CPI/PPI forecast
- Commentary: Yogurt redux: Readers react
- Protect yourself; MPP-Dairy is easy, LGM-Dairy may be better deal
- Penn State: Understanding the Farm Bill’s MPP-Dairy
- Calves with Sam: Another note on cross-sucking
- Employee Turnover Affecting Your Operation?